Chris Godwin is back in pads.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver took the practice field Friday for the first time since tearing his ACL late last season. Godwin wore a brace on his surgically repaired knee as he participated in individual position drills and received passes.
"Its good to see him out there," said coach Todd Bowles, who said Godwin is a long way from returning to a full routine. "We're not getting our hopes up."
The veteran's presence on Friday suggests a recovery timeline that's ahead of schedule based on when he sustained the knee injury (Dec. 19), which included a torn MCL. Tampa expected Godwin back during training camp by keeping off the physically unable to perform list. The club's confidence in his recovery was furthered this offseason with a new three-year, $60 million contract.
While Godwin's presence was reassuring, Bucs WR Mike Evans left Friday's practice early. Bowles said he may have tweaked his hamstring, which seems to be a reoccurring issue during camp for the veteran. Bowles also announced that Tom Brady was excused from Friday's practice but couldn't guarantee the quarterback's return for Saturday.
- HC Kliff Kingsbury said the team hopes QB Kyler Murray will be able to practice Saturday after testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.
- Kingsbury also said TE Maxx Williams (knee) was activated off PUP ahead of schedule. " don't think any of us anticipated us doing it," Kingsbury said, per ESPN.com.
- G Jalen Mayfield did not practice due to a lower back injury, per head coach Arthur Smith.
- Rookie C Tyler Linderbaum (foot) will likely miss 1-2 weeks, per HC John Harbaugh.
- WR Rashod Bateman is dealing with a minor injury and could miss Saturday's practice.
- WR Terrace Marshall Jr. is dealing with a lower leg strain.
- G Austin Corbett sat out practice after he underwent a procedure to have an ingrown toenail removed.
- TE Drew Sample is expected to miss a couple of weeks due to a left knee injury, per head coach Zac Tayor. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that it sounds like an MCL sprain.
- LB Anthony Barr placed on physically unable to perform list.
- Safety Darnell Savage left practice Friday night with a hamstring injury, but head coach Matt LaFleur said he did not believe there was any concern it would be a long-term injury.
- TE Kyle Markaway placed on injured reserve.
- DB Smoke Monday was placed on injured reserve.
- TE Jaeden Graham was placed on injured reserve.
- WR Marcus Johnson is in the concussion protocol.
- HC Pete Carroll is back with the team after testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.
- LB Jordyn Brooks has missed the last few practices due to tweaking his hamstring, head coach Pete Carroll said.
- LB Tre Walker placed on inured reserve.
- Signed DL Trevon Coley.
- Signed CB Devontae Harris.
- Waived DT Auzoyah Alufohai.
- Waived S Jon Alexander.
- Signed CB Lavert Hill.
- Waived injured CB Reggie Robinson II.
- Waived DT Cortez Broughton.
- Signed P Sterling Hofrichter.
- Waived P Tommy Heatherly.
- Signed DB Tae Haynes.
- Officially signed LB Kiko Alonso.
- Signed OT Will Holden.
- Waived DE Niko Lalos.
- Waived DB Jarren Williams.
- Waived WR Taysir Mack.
- Singed LB Joel Dublanko.
- Waived TE Jake Hausmann.
- Waived DB Chris Williamson.
- LB Tre Walker has decided to retire from football, coach Ron Rivera announced to reporters on Friday. Walker was an undrafted free agent out of Idaho.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.