NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the early indication is Williams' ACL was spared in the injury. If an MRI confirms the initial diagnosis, the defensive tackle could return this season.
Williams left Friday night's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns after injuring his knee early in the second quarter.
The heart-and-soul of the Bills defense, getting Williams back on the field at any stage would be a boost to Sean McDermott's squad.
The 35-year-old people-mover played 31 regular-season games the past two seasons. In 2017 he compiled 41 tackles and three sacks to go along with two passes defended.
In other Bills injury news, punter Cory Carter tore the ACL in his plant leg during Friday's tilt with the Browns, per Rapoport. Quarterback AJ McCarron suffered a hairline fracture in his collarbone during the game, too.
Here are other injuries we're tracking around the league:
1. Per Rapoport, the Detroit Lions fear linebacker and special teams player Steve Longa tore his ACL in Friday's preseason game against the New York Giants. He will have an MRI to determine the final result, Rapoport adds.
2. Chicago Bears linebacker Leonard Floyd suffered a hand injury during the first half against the Denver Broncos and left the game. Tight end Adam Shaheen suffered an ankle injury during the opening minutes and was carted from the sideline to the locker room. Bears coach Matt Nagy said after the game he didn't believe Floyd or Shaheen suffered fractures, but the pair will undergo further testing Sunday.
3. Several Minnesota Vikings departed Saturday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars with injuries. Mackensie Alexander (ankle), defensive end Ade Aruna (knee) and offensive lineman Josh Andrews (ankle) left and did not return. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported X-rays on Alexander's ankle are negative and the team's inital diagnosis is an ankle sprain. Alexander will undergo an MRI on Sunday.
Additionally, coach Mike Zimmer said offensive lineman Cedric Lang will land on injured reserve while offensive tackle Mike Remmers should return next week. Center Pat Elflein has a chance to return soon as well.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars guard Brandon Linder suffered a knee injury against the Vikings. Defensive back Don Carey suffered a hamstring injury and did not return. After the game, coach Doug Marrone said he didn't hear that Linder or Carey would miss extensive time because of the injuries.
5. The Washington Redskins waived running back Martez Carter with an injury designation.
6. New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton told reporters he expects rookie defensive end Marcus Davenport (thumb) to make his preseason debut against the Los Angeles Chargers next Saturday. Davenport is also expected to practice this week.
7. Oakland Raiders kicker Eddy Pineiro tweaked his groin and did not play Saturday afternoon against the Los Angeles Rams, coach Jon Gruden told reporters. Pineiro is battling veteran kicker Mike Nugent for the starting kicker gig.
Cowboys safety Xavier Woods made an early exit after suffering a hamstring injury. Cowboys running back Bo Scarbrough suffered a hip injury in the second half and defensive tackle Datone Jones left in the third quarter with a knee injury. Safety Jameill Showers was helped off the sideline and into the locker room after suffering an undisclosed injury.
10. Denver Broncos defensive back Will Parks suffered a knee contusion against the Chicago Bears, coach Vance Joseph said after the game. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas didn't play because of a sore wrist he suffered in practice, Joseph said.
14. Los Angeles Chargers defensive back Jaylen Watkins suffered a knee injury and didn't return.