Carolina Panthers interim general manager Marty Hurney continues to hand out new contracts.
Veteran linebacker Thomas Davis is the latest beneficiary. The team announced Tuesday it signed Davis to a one-year contract extension through the 2018 season. The 34-year-old was entering the final year of his contract and set to make $4 million in 2017.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the extension is worth $6.75 million and adds $2 million in guaranteed money this year. The deal includes $1 million in guarantees next season, per Rapoport.
"I'm extremely excited. Everybody knows how I feel about being a Carolina Panther," Davis said in a statement released by the team. "This extension solidifies me being here for the rest of my career, and I'm excited about that. Now it's totally focused on winning a Super Bowl."
The Panthers had been working on a deal for the 13-year pro prior to the team dismissing former GM Dave Gettleman. Thomas rejected the notion that Gettleman was fired because those talks weren't on a fast track toward a new deal.
When he signed his previous contract in 2015, Davis said he planned to play in Carolina for his entire career. His new contract ensures he'll be with the Panthers for the long haul.
The heart of Carolina's defense, Davis has overcome three ACL injuries and famously played through a broken arm during the team's Super Bowl run in 2015.
As one of the fastest sideline-to-sideline linebackers in the NFL, even at 34 years old Davis is a tackling machine. He has compiled at least 100 tackles each of the last five seasons. Davis owns the franchise record with 1,086 career tackles in Carolina.
"Thomas is still playing fast and at a high level, and the intensity and passion that he brings to the game is unmatched," linebackers coach Al Holcomb said. "He is the ultimate leader, and to continue to have a player and a man of his magnitude on our team is extremely important. I'm excited for Thomas, his family and our organization."