Coach Doug Pederson announced Friday that DeSean Jackson would miss Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions due to a groin injury.
After getting off to a blazing start in Week 1 with two 50-plus-yard touchdowns, Jackson played just nine snaps in Week 2, per Next Gen Stats, before suffering the injury.
Jackson missing Sunday's tilt isn't a surprise, as the receiver missed practice all week. The question is how long the injury will keep Jackson out. With a Thursday night game versus Green Bay on the docket next week, the 32-year-old might miss multiple games.
Jackson's absence will wipe out Carson Wentz's best deep threat once again, something the Eagles struggled with all last season.
As for the other injuries to pass-catchers Philly is dealing with, Pederson said he's still holding out hope that wideout Alshon Jeffery (calf) and tight endDallas Goedert (calf) will be able to go Sunday. Neither has practiced this week and both were listed as questionable to play. If both join Jackson sitting out, Wentz's pass-catching corps will be a shell of what it was in Week 1.
Here is other news we're monitoring on Friday.
- Buffalo Bills running back Devin Singletary (hamstring) is out for Week 3 action, coach Sean McDermott said Friday. Cornerback Taron Johnson is also out with a groin injury. Tight endTyler Kroft, who injured his ankle in practice Thursday, is not playing this weekend, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed. The low-ankle sprain does leave him a chance to make his season debut next week, Rapoport added.
- The Cleveland Browns ruled out linebacker Christian Kirksey (chest), tight end David Njoku (concussion/wrist), safety Damarious Randall (concussion) and tackle Kendall Lamm (knee)against the Rams.
Cleveland promoted cornerback Robert Jackson to the active roster from the practice squad, they announced on Friday. In corresponding moves, the Browns waived running back Elijah McGuire and signed cornerback Donnie Lewis Jr.
- Kansas City Chiefs running back Damien Williams (knee) and left tackle Eric Fisher (groin) will not play against the Ravens, coach Andy Reid told reporters. Running back LeSean McCoy (ankle) is questionable to play.
- New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (momo) and Jordan Jenkins (calf) have been ruled out for Sunday's game against the Patriots. Linebacker C.J. Mosley (groin), defensive tackle Quinnen Williams (ankle) and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) are doubtful. Brian Poole (groin) is listed as questionable.
- Detroit Lions linebacker Jarrad Davis (ankle) has a chance to play Sunday against the Eagles as coach Matt Patricia told the media on Friday that he was hoping to see a good practice Friday and then would see what happens come game day.
Davis was listed as questionable on Detroit's injury report, as was tackle Taylor Decker (back), defensive lineman Da'Shawn Hand (elbow), cornerback Rashaan Melvin (knee) and safety C.J. Moore (heel).
- Minnesota Vikings cornerback Mackensie Alexander (elbow) will miss Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders. Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr (groin) is questionable to play after not practicing Thursday. Also questionable to go are guard Pat Elflein (knee), linebacker Ben Gedeon (groin) and cornerback Mike Hughes (knee).
- Indianapolis Colts linebacker Darius Leonard (concussion) will not play against the Falcons, Colts coach Frank Reich told reporters Friday. Neither will defensive tackle Jabaal Sheard (knee). Colts running back Marlon Mack (calf) returned to practice on Friday and is questionable to plays against Atlanta, as is receiver T.Y. Hilton (quad).
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers first-round linebacker Devin White (knee) will not play against the Giants after not practicing all week.
- All systems are go for New York Giants receiver Sterling Shepard. The wideout practiced fully for the second straight day and did not carry an injury designation into the weekend. Shepard missed New York's Week 2 loss with a concussion.
Fellow wideout Cody Latimer (concussion) will not play against Tampa Bay, while receiver Bennie Fowler (hamstring) is questionable.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced Friday that they have signed offensive tackle Sam Young to a one-year deal. In a corresponding move, the team placed receiver Trent Taylor on injured reserve.
- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (foot) has been ruled out for Sunday against the Cardinals, defensive tackle Kawann Short (shoulder) and tight end Greg Olsen (back) are both questionable. LB Bruce Irvin (hamstring), S Rashaan Gaulden (groin) and T Brandon Greene (neck) have all been ruled out for Sunday, as well.
- Arizona Cardinals OL Lamont Gaillard (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday, while defensive lineman Jonathan Bullard (hamstring) and CB Chris Jones (ankle) are questionable.
- The Dallas Cowboys ruled six players out against the Dolphins: WR Tavon Austin (concussion), DE Tyrone Crawford (hip), WR Michael Gallup (knee), LB Luke Gifford (ankle), DT Antwaun Woods (knee) and S Xavier Woods (ankle).
- Miami Dolphins defensive end Charles Harris (wrist) and safety Bobby McCain (shoulder) are questionable to play against the Cowboys, while safety Reshad Jones (ankle) and wide receiver Albert Wilson (hip/calf) are out.
- Baltimore Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith (knee) was ruled out against Kansas City, while tight end Mark Andrews (foot) is questionable to play after being limited in practice the past two days.
- Pittsburgh Steelers fullback Roosevelt Nix (knee), linebacker Vince Williams (hamstring) and linebacker Anthony Chickillo (foot) will not play against the 49ers.
- Denver Broncos linebacker Todd Davis (calf) and cornerback Bryce Callahan (foot) are questionable to play against the Packers. Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James (knee) and fullback Andy Janovich (pectoral) will not play.
- The Oakland Raiders ruled out returner Dwayne Harris (ankle) and guard Gabe Jackson (knee) for their Sunday matchup with Minnesota. Oakland listed six players as questionable: RT Trent Brown (knee), LB Vontaze Burfict (shoulder/knee), DT Corey Liuget (knee), DT P.J. Hall (illness), G Denzelle Good (ankle) and S Lamarcus Joyner (groin).
Running back Josh Jacobs, who was limited earlier this week with a hip injury and an illness, practiced fully Friday and does not have an injury designation.
- Los Angeles Chargers kicker Michael Badgley (groin) is questionable to play against Houston after practicing fully the last two days. Cornerback Michael Davis (hamstring) is doubtful.
- Houston Texans guard Senio Kelemete (wrist) and tackle Laremy Tunsil (ankle) are questionable to play against the Chargers.
- New England Patriots fullbackJames Develin (neck) was ruled out against the Jets. Right tackle Marcus Cannon (shoulder) and tight ends Ryan Izzo (calf) and Matt LaCosse (ankle) are questionable.
- Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee (chest) has been ruled out for Sunday against the Browns. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald (back) and offensive lineman Austin Blythe (ankle) are both questionable.
- Washington Redskins defensive lineman Jonathan Allen (knee) returned to practice in a limited capacity. Safety Montae Nicholson (foot) and receiver Robert Davis (knee) sat out Friday's practice after practicing on Thursday.