The Denver Broncos signed Theo Riddick for running back depth. But, now, the team is back in the same spot they were before the move.
NFL Network's James Palmer and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that Riddick will miss the next 6-8 weeks after sustaining a slight fracture in his shoulder during Thursday's preseason game against the Seahawks. Luckily, Riddick will not be required to undergo surgery, which would likely have caused him to miss even more time.
Riddick is entering his first season with Denver after playing for the Lions since 2013 when the team made him a sixth-round draft selection.
Other news we're monitoring around the league:
After being placed on injured reserve last December, safety Marcus Maye (shoulder) has been activated from the PUP list, the team announced. Maye, 26, dealt with a variety of ailments last season, which limited him to six games after starting all 16 the year prior.
Connor Hughes of The Athletic later reported injuries for the following players: guard Brian Winters (shoulder), linebacker Avery Williamson (foot), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (hamstring) and linebacker Blake Cashman (hamstring).
- Kyle Shanahan told reporters offensive tackle Shon Coleman, who was carted off during Saturday's preseason opener against the Cowboys, will be placed on injured reserve Monday. Rapoport reported earlier Sunday that Coleman suffered a dislocated ankle and is expected to miss several months. The fourth-year lineman, a healthy scratch all of last season for San Francisco after starting 16 games for the Browns in 2017, was in line to serve as a utility tackle for the Niners.
Shanahan added defensive tackle D.J. Jones (knee) is week to week; safety Jimmie Ward (collarbone) will undergo X-rays this week to determine whether he can return to practice, and linebacker Elijah Lee had thumb surgery and is out two weeks.
- Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy revealed during his press conference that WR Anthony Miller suffered a sprained ankle in yesterday's practice and LB Aaron Lynch is dealing with a shoulder injury.
- The Detroit Lions announced they have signed wide receiver Deontez Alexander and waived-injured LB Tre Lamar.
- The Arizona Cardinals have re-signed defensive lineman Pasoni Tasini, who was called up from the practice squad and played in one game for the team last year. He was released May 10. The Cardinals also announced that both TE Charles Clay (knee) and CB Brandon Williams (back) have been activated from the PUP list.
- The Miami Dolphins have signed LB Terrance Smith and waived/injured DE Jonathan Woodard, the team announced on Twitter.