Jason Pierre-Paul sought a second opinion on his shoulder injury and received a simple recommendation: Take the week off.
Pierre-Paul has been advised to rest his shoulder this week, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, likely leaving the edge rusher as a candidate for the inactive list for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Week 3 meeting with the Los Angeles Rams.
Pierre-Paul did not participate in the Buccaneers' Wednesday practice and was listed with hand and shoulder injuries. Pierre-Paul played through the hand injury in Sunday's win over Atlanta, but the shoulder injury has him considered day-to-day, coach Bruce Arians told reporters Wednesday.
Pierre-Paul played in all 16 games of Tampa Bay's Super Bowl-winning campaign last year, and hasn't missed a game since the 2019 season. He's gone without a sack in his first two games after recording 18 combined between 2019 and 2020.
The Buccaneers remain red hot after starting 2-0 in 2021. They'll hope to have Pierre-Paul for Sunday, but have personnel capable of filling the void in the event the veteran can't go against the upstart Rams.
- Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey was ruled out for the remainder of Thursday night's game after suffering a hamstring injury in the second quarter. Following the game, head coach Matt Rhule said it was a strained hamstring. Panthers cornerback Jaycee Horn was injured in the third quarter and ruled out with a foot injury, which is believed to be a broken foot, per Rapoport. Carolina cornerback Juston Burris left Thursday's game with a groin injury.
- Arizona Cardinals receiver A.J. Green dismissed the notion that he'd be the team's No. 1 on Sunday with DeAndre Hopkins (ribs) out of practice all week. "Hop don't miss games," Green said, per team reporter Darren Urban. Hopkins, cornerback Byron Murphy (ankle) and offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum (ribs) were all listed as DNP; OL Justin Pugh (shoulder) was upgraded from DNP to limited.
- Dallas Cowboys receiver Amari Cooper (ribs) was limited in practice. Coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that defensive end Dorance Armstrong (ankle), defensive tackle Carlos Watkins (knee) and tackle Ty Nsekhe (illness) will not play Monday against the Eagles. Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory was activated off the reserve/COVID-19 list and is eligible to play for the team on Monday.
- Los Angeles Chargers safety Derwin James (toe) returned to practice Thursday fully, but defensive end Joey Bosa (foot/ankle) did not practice for a second day in a row.
- San Francisco 49ers running backs JaMycal Hasty (ankle) and Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) did not practice Thursday and running back Trey Sermon (concussion) was limited.
- Green Bay Packers cornerback Eric Stokes (quadricep) and safety Vernon Scott (hamstring) were limited at Thursday's practice.
- Kansas City Chiefs defensive linemen Chris Jones (wrist) and Frank Clark (hamstring) were limited in Thursday's practice.
- The Detroit Lions placed wide receiver Tyrell Williams (concussion) on injured reserve. Kicker Austin Seibert was added to the team's reserve/COVID-19 list, and practice squad linebacker Josh Woods was signed to the active roster. Defensive end Kevin Strong (concussion) was upgraded from DNP to full. The Titans also listed LB Trey Flowers (shoulder/knee) as a DNP for a second straight day. Running back D'Andre Swift (groin), receiver Kalif Raymond (thigh) and LBs Julian Okwara (neck) and Romeo Okwara (shoulder) were limited.
- Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook (ankle) missed practice for a second consecutive day. Linebacker Anthony Barr (knee) and defensive lineman Everson Griffen (concussion) were limited in practice.
- New England Patriots linebacker Matt Judon (knee) was upgraded from DNP to limited. Running back Damien Harris (finger) and offensive tackle Trent Brown (calf) practiced in a limited capacity for a second straight day.
- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson (illness), tackle Ronnie Stanley (ankle), receiver Marquise Brown (ankle) and defensive end Derek Wolfe (hip/back) were among Ravens players who did not practice. Cornerback Tavon Young (knee) and nose tackle Brandon Williams (neck) were upgraded from DNP to limited.
- Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz (ankles) is not practicing for the second day in a row. Wentz and linebacker Darius Leonard (ankle) were officially listed as DNP. Cornerback Xavier Rhodes (calf) was upgraded from DNP to limited while receiver Zach Pascal was upgraded from DNP to full.
- New York Giants offensive lineman Nick Gates is still recovering in Virginia following surgery to repair a leg fracture suffered last week. Coach Joe Judge suggested Thursday that Gates' injury could potentially be career-ending. Asked if the injury could threaten Gates' career, Judge responded, "I'd be lying, from my perspective, if I said no. I know there's comparisons to other players, these things are all different. I know he's going to have the best medical care possible ... so we're confident he's going to be able to come back. My fear, for any guy who has something like this, is yes, it can be career-ending." Also, the team listed running back Saquon Barkley (knee), tight end Evan Engram (calf) and receivers Kenny Golladay (hip), defensive back Logan Ryan (hamstring) and Kadarius Toney (ankle) as limited practice participants.
- The New York Jets placed defensive end Ronald Blair on practice squad/injured. Receiver Jamison Crowder (groin) remains out.
- The Buffalo Bills upgraded defensive tackle Star Lotulelei (groin) from DNP to limited, and downgraded cornerback Levi Wallace (knee) from full to limited.
- Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback C.J. Henderson (groin/illness) was downgraded from limited to DNP. Offensive lineman A.J. Cann (hamstring) was upgraded from limited to full and OL Brandon Linder (back) was upgraded from DNP to limited.
- The Tennessee Titans listed guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder) and linebackers Bud Dupree (knee) and Jayon Brown (hamstring) as limited. All were DNPs on Wednesday. Receiver A.J. Brown (knee) was upgraded from limited to full. Center Ben Jones (knee) was upgraded from DNP to full.
- The Atlanta Falcons placed running back Caleb Huntleyon injured reserve.
- The Philadelphia Eagles listed running back Miles Sanders(chest), safety Rodney McLeod (knee) and receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (ankle) as limited. Defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway (illness) did not practice.
- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Akiem Hicks and quarterback Andy Dalton (knee) missed a second consecutive practice. Defensive back Tashaun Gipson (hamstring) was downgraded from limited to DNP while linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu (hamstring) was upgraded from DNP to limited. Nose tackle Eddie Goldman (knee) remained limited.
- The New Orleans Saints upgraded defensive backs Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (knee) and P.J. Williams (back) from limited to full. Cornerback Marshon Lattimore (hand) remained limited. Center Erik McCoy (calf) remained out.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Darrell Henderson (ribs) and linebacker Leonard Floyd (ankle) did not practice on Thursday.
- The Houston Texans signed practice squad kicker Joey Slye to the active roster, and elevated quarterback Jeff Driskel and receiver Chris Moore to the active roster.
- The New York Jets signed safety Sheldrick Redwine to the practice squad.
- The Chicago Bears signed linebacker Rashad Smith to the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed defensive tackle Anthony Rush to the practice squad.