Last spring, Jared Bernhardt was on the Maryland lacrosse team. This year, he's hoping to be an NFL draft pick.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Bernhardt had a top-30 visit with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday, per a source informed of the meeting.
While Bernhardt played QB at Ferris State last year, leading the Bulldogs to a Division 2 National Championship, he'll be a receiver/kick returner in the NFL.
Bernhardt took a unique route to football. The 6-foot-1 athlete was a star lacrosse player at Maryland, taking home the Tewaaraton Award as the nation's best collegiate lacrosse player in 2021.
He then moved to Ferris State as a grad transfer to try his hand at football. Now the NFL is giving him a look.
Given his athletic profile, it won't be surprising if some team gives Bernhardt a shot -- whether in the draft or as an undrafted free agent.
There is a certain coach in Foxborough, Massachusetts, that loves him some lacrosse players who will undoubtedly take a gander at Bernhardt.
- The Arizona Cardinals announced that wide receiver Antoine Wesley has signed his one-year tender as an exclusive rights free agent.
- The Baltimore Ravens announced that safety Geno Stone has signed his exclusive rights free agent tender.
- The Buffalo Bills officially announced the signing of wide receiver Stefon Diggs to a four-year extension.
- The Denver Broncos have re-signed veteran safety Kareem Jackson to a one-year deal, per NFL Network's James Palmer. Jackson's played the last three seasons in Denver and started 44 games in the process.
- The Houston Texans are signing wide receiver Brandin Cooks to a two-year extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
- The Los Angeles Chargers have agreed to terms on a deal with former Washington and Houston receiver/kick returner DeAndre Carter, Rapoport reports.
- The Miami Dolphins announced the re-signing of defensive tackle John Jenkins.
- The Minnesota Vikings announced the signing of defensive tackle Jullian Taylor.
- The Tennessee Titans waived tackle Brandon Kemp, the team announced Thursday.
- The Philadelphia Eagles hosted defensive back Tyrann Mathieu on a virtual visit, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. Mathieu is entering his tenth season and is a three-time All-Pro.
NFL draft prospect visits
- The Cincinnati Bengals are hosting Tennessee cornerback Alontae Taylor for a visit, Rapoport reported Thursday.
- The Dallas Cowboys are hosting Texas A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green for a visit after the prospect spent time with the Cardinals, per Rapoport. Rapoport added that Green will next visit with the Patriots.
- The New York Jets will host Coastal Carolina cornerback Isaiah Likely for a visit, Rapoport reported Thursday.
Coaching staff moves
- The Minnesota Vikings announced that they have finalized their player health and performance staff for the 2022 season with the hiring of Uriah Myrie as the head athletic trainer and Dan Ridenour as the sports science coordinator/assistant strength and conditioning coach.