The new era of New England Patriots football will have a familiar backup quarterback on the sidelines.
The Patriots have signed Brian Hoyer to the active roster on a one-year deal, NFL Network's Mike Giardi reports, per a source. Hoyer was previously signed to New England's practice squad.
Hoyer's promotion was an inevitability considering rookie Mac Jones was their only rostered QB with Jarrett Stidham (back) placed on injured reserve to start the season. Hoyer, 35, has spent six of his 13 NFL seasons in New England has a backup, appearing in 24 games and earning one start. A Bill Belichick favorite, Hoyer will be the go-to backup for Jones until Stidham is healthy enough to be activated.
The Pats take on the Jets in New York in Week 2.
In addition to signing Hoyer, the Patriots also elevated defensive lineman Tashawn Bower and kicker Nick Folk to the active roster, and placed kicker Quinn Nordin on injured reserve.
- The NFL fined Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison $12,128 for last week's shoving match with Chiefs RBs coach Greg Lewis,. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David was fined $12,875 for unsportsmanlike conduct, taking off his helmet and slamming it after a near-interception in the opener against the Cowboys, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. No flag was thrown.
- Tennessee Titans receiver Julio Jones was fined $10,815 for an unnecessary roughness call stemming from his personal foul in last week's blowout loss to the Cardinals, per Pelissero.
- Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Myles Jack was fined $20,600 for two separate unsportsmanlike conduct violations in last week's loss to the Texans, per Pelissero.
- Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Chase Claypool was fined $8,354 for unsportsmanlike conduct in an early dustup against the Bills, Pelissero reported.
- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw was fined $5,169 for unsportsmanlike conduct for waving goodbye to the Lions on his pick-six, Rapoport reported.
- The Las Vegas Raiders officially placed quarterback Marcus Mariota on injured reserve, Rapoport reported. The team later announced the move. It was reported on Thursday that Mariota is expected to miss multiple weeks after aggravating a quad injury against the Ravens.
- Detroit Lions wide receiver Tyrell Williams and defensive end Kevin Strong have been ruled out for Monday night versus the Packers with both in the concussion protocol, coach Dan Campbell announced. The team has since confirmed the news on their official injury report.
- The Dallas Cowboys have downgraded safety Donovan Wilson (groin) to out for Sunday's game versus the Chargers after initially being listed as questionable. Wilson is not traveling with the team. The Cowboys activated tight end Jeremy Sprinkle as a COVID-19 replacement.
- The Green Bay Packers announced defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery will not be in attendance at Monday night's game due to COVID-19 protocols.
- The New England Patriots have downgraded right tackle Trent Brown (calf) to out versus the Jets.
- The San Francisco 49ers have placed linebacker Dre Greenlaw on inured reserve.
- The New Orleans Saints announced offensive line coach Brendan Nugent will be in attendance for Sunday's game while assistant coaches Ryan Nielsen (defensive line) and Brian Young (pass rush specialist) will not be in attendance due to COVID-19 protocols. The Saints also placed linebacker Chase Hansen on injured reserve.
- The Seattle Seahawks downgraded receiver D'Wayne Eskridge to out.
- The Chicago Bears placed offensive lineman Larry Borom on injured reserve.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have signed defensive end Josh Sweat to a three-year, $40 million contract extension, Rapoport reported, per Sweat's agency. The deal includes $26.92 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus.
- The Los Angeles Rams have activated linebackers Micah Kiser and Justin Lawler from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The New Orleans Saints have signed defensive back Jordan Miller and linebacker Wynton McManis from the practice squad and elevated defensive end Jalyn Holmes and center Austin Reiter from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Indianapolis Colts have elevated wide receiver DeMichael Dizer to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The Cleveland Browns have signed linebacker Elijah Lee from the practice squad.
- The Cincinnati Bengals elevated safety Sean Davis to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed running back Ameer Abdullah to the active roster. Safety Myles Dorn and quarterback Sean Mannion have been elevated to the active roster for Sunday's game.
- The Arizona Cardinals elevated cornerback Antonio Hamilton to the active roster from the practice squad as a standard elevation, and elevated safety Chris Banjo to the active roster from the practice squad as a COVID-19 replacement.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars elevated receiver Laquon Treadwell to the active/inactive list.
- The Seattle Seahawks elevated defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche from the practice squad.
- The New York Jets elevated linebacker Del'Shawn Phillips and safety Adrian Colbert from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Houston Texans elevated kicker Joey Slye and tight end Antony Auclair to the active roster. Slye converted 3/3 field goals and 4/4 extra points in Week 1 win over Jaguars.
- The Las Vegas Raiders signed linebacker Marquel Lee from the practice squad, and activated guard Lester Cotton and running back Trey Ragas from the practice squad.
- The Minnesota Vikings waived tight end Brandon Dillon.