New Orleans Saints quarterback Jameis Winston has a new injury to overcome ahead of the start of the regular season.
Saints head coach Dennis Allen told reporters Tuesday that Winston suffered a right foot sprain during a 7-on-7 portion of Monday's practice and is considered day to day.
While Winston's foot issue does not seem to be nearly as serious as last year's ACL injury that ended his season, any amount of time for him on the sidelines is not ideal for a Saints team looking to return to the playoffs after falling short in 2021.
Allen added that Winston will not play in Saturday's preseason opener against the Houston Texans.
- TE Adam Shaheen, a five-year NFL veteran who's started 25 career games with Dolphins and Bears.
- Round 7, 2023
- Round 6, 2023
- CB Rashad Fenton returned to practice Tuesday after starting training camp on the physically unable to perform list.
- LB Jordyn Brooks (hamstring) is participating in walk-throughs, but is not ready for practice yet, per head coach Pete Carroll.
- Defensive assistant coach Joe Whitt will miss Saturday's preseason opener against the Broncos due to a private health matter, the team announced. Whitt has been absent from practice, the team said, but he has been participating in meetings.
- Head coach Sean McVay announced in his Tuesday news conference that he signed a contract extension during the offseason. This deal also means an extension for general manager Les Snead can be expected soon.
- Head coach Ron Rivera announced that defensive line coach Sam Mills III had been fired, citing philosophical differences.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.