The New England Patriots entered the preseason with questions in their corner crew. They'll continue to deal with depth issues moving forward.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Patriots cornerback Joejuan Williams suffered a shoulder injury that will knock him out for the season, per a source informed of the situation.
The former second-round pick was battling to provide depth in the Patriots' secondary.
In three seasons with the Pats, Williams has started just one of 36 games played with eight total passes defensed. Williams hasn't lived up to his draft status and was in danger of being cut. The season-ending injury heading into the final year of his contract likely spells the end of his time in New England.
- C Doug Kramer will miss time with a lower leg injury, coach Matt Eberflus announced. Kramer was placed on injured reserve later on Tuesday.
- LB Anthony Barr has passed his physical and has been activated off of the physically unable to perform list.
- TE Adam Shaheen (knee) placed on injured reserve, ending his season. Shaheen's injury nixed a would-be trade to Houston this past week.
- CB Byron Jones (Achilles) is hoped to be ready for Week 1, head coach Mike McDaniel told reporters Tuesday. McDaniel said the process remains the same during Jones' rehab and things have to be "firing on all cylinders" before he's comfortable getting the CB back on the field.
- QB Jameis Winston (foot) was held out of practice again on Tuesday and remains day to day, coach Dennis Allen told reporters. Winston suffered a foot sprain during practice last week, but Allen mentioned the team is being cautious with the Saints' starter. Allen added that they will revisit Winston's availability on Wednesday.
- QB Zach Wilson is recovering well after having knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday. There were no surprises in the procedure and the possibility of Wilson returning for Week 1 is still in play, per Rapoport.
- OT Mekhi Becton was officially placed on injured reserve after fracturing his kneecap in practice last week, likely ending his 2022 season.
- QB Kyler Murray confirmed Tuesday that he will not be participating in any preseason games.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.