Joe Schobert is headed west for another opportunity to continue his NFL career.
The linebacker has signed with the Denver Broncos, the team announced Monday.
Schobert's signing follows an unfortunate elbow injury to rising youngster Jonas Griffith, who entered Denver's first preseason game as the Broncos' penciled-in starter alongside Josey Jewell. An undrafted free agent out of Indiana State, Griffith initially made his way to Denver in 2021 as a special teams contributor who impressed the Broncos enough to earn a second year and the opportunity to compete for a starting job.
Instead, the Broncos will look toward a group of replacements that will now include Schobert, a six-year veteran who tied for the league lead in tackles in 2017 while with the Browns before moving to Jacksonville in 2020 and Pittsburgh in 2021.
On the bright side, some good news came from Denver on Monday. Prized offseason acquisition Randy Gregory and offensive lineman Billy Turner have been activated off the physically unable to perform list. Gregory is expected to be ready for the 2022 season, NFL Network's James Palmer reported Monday.
- CB Denzel Ward (foot) was activated from the physically unable to perform list.
- Center Dawson Deaton suffered a torn ACL at Monday's practice, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported. Deaton's injury comes days after the team lost starting center Nick Harris for the season. Deaton is a seventh-round rookie.
- QB Matthew Stafford (elbow) was a full participant in practice Monday and will be on Tuesday, as well, for the team's intrasquad scrimmage, coach Sean McVay said.
- RBs Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson are each dealing with soft-tissue injuries and will not practice until they can go full speed, coach Sean McVay said.
- QB Zach Wilson will undergo knee surgery on Tuesday, Aug. 16 in Los Angeles, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. Diagnosed with a bone bruise and torn meniscus, Wilson's recovery timeline will be better determined following surgery.
- DT Quinnen Williams is dealing with an ankle injury, but head coach Robert Saleh doesn't think it's serious.
- DB Jimmie Ward is dealing with a hamstring injury, per head coach Kyle Shanahan. Ward's injury is serious enough that his status for the regular-season opener is in doubt.
- OT Cornelius Lucas passed his physical and has been activated from the physically unable to perform list.
- WR Cody Alexander (shoulder) placed on injured reserve.
- Claimed CB Olaijah Griffin, who was waived by Bills, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.