"We got the best news we could possibly get," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, via Jon Machota of The Athletic. "We couldn't have asked for better news. Looking forward to having him back out there quick."
Jones' comments mesh with NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport's report Monday that Smith might only miss one week with the ankle injury.
Here's other NFL news we're monitoring Tuesday:
- The New York Giants now officially have wide receiver Golden Tate back on their roster, as the team announced Tuesday it had activated Tate and added him to the 53-man roster.
Also on Tuesday, the Giants announced the promotion of linebacker Josiah Tauaefa from the practice squad and released receivers Bennie Fowler and TJ Jones.
Defensive lineman Vince Williams (hamstring), tight end Vance McDonald (shoulder) and linebacker Anthony Chickillo (foot) have a chance to play this week against the Ravens.
- The Cincinnati Bengals granted a roster exemption to guard Alex Redmond following a four-game suspension, the team announced Tuesday. The team has an exemption until Monday and can activate him at any point during that time.
- With Michael Badgley still banged up and Ty Long handling both kicker and punter duties, the Los Angeles Chargers are finally adding a new kicker. L.A. is signing kicker Chase McLaughlin, a source told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. McLaughlin, a undrafted free agent from Illinois, has spent time with the Bills and Vikings this season.
The Bolts promoted tight end Stephen Anderson to the active roster, the team announced on Tuesday, and in a corresponding move placed tight end Sean Culkinon injured reserve. The team also announced the signings of defensive end Jeff Holland, defensive back Quenton Meeks and tight end Matt Sokol to the practice squad.
- The Baltimore Ravens waived outside linebacker Tim Williams on Tuesday, the team announced. Williams was a situational pass rusher who had just two tackles in four games.
- The Arizona Cardinals re-signed kick returner Pharoh Cooper, who was a return specialist in 2017 with the Rams. Cooper previously played part of the 2018 season with the Cardinals. He was with the Bengals to start the current season, but was cut on Sept. 18. Arizona also released defensive lineman Miles Brown and re-signed Darrell Daniels to the practice squad.